As valedictorian of Gilbert High School and a graduate of Eveleth Community College (now Mesabi Range College), Irja Sundgren Pratt had a sincere commitment to higher education. Irja understood that education was a gift to be valued and wanted to ensure other young people from the Iron Range had the opportunity to pursue post-secondary education. Because of this belief, she established a fund through her estate to provide scholarships for students at one of the five two-year institutions on the Iron Range. This memorial fund will provide scholarship opportunities for students who are attending one of the five two-year institutions that comprise the Northeast Higher Education District (NHED) on the Iron Range. NHED consists of Hibbing Community College, Itasca Community College, Mesabi Range College, Rainy River Community College and Vermilion Community College.
- This $500 scholarship will be awarded annually to a student who is enrolled at any institution within the Northeast Higher Education District. (Possible recipients will be suggested by each campus.)
- Have a grade point average (G.P.A.) of 2.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- Will have completed at least one semester of course-work at the college before being eligible for the award.
- May be renewed provided the recipients meet the minimum academic standards as determined by the college president or provost.
- Complete and submit the online application by November 1 at 11:59 PM. This scholarship will be awarded for the spring semester only.
- Submit letter of application/personal letter. In this letter describe your:
- Academic goals,
- Career goals, and
- Personal goals.
- Submit a statement of need (describe why you need this scholarship).
- Submit one letter of recommendation from college staff.
- Submit a copy of your school transcript (does not need to be an official transcript).