Seven tips to help you effectively study for your college finals this semester.
- Organize your study space. When you are sitting down to study (or standing up!) make sure you have enough space to spread out all your textbooks and notes. Being comfortable when studying allows you focus on the task at hand.
- Explain what you are studying to someone else. If you can explain what you are studying to someone who doesn't know much about the topic, then you are on your way to mastering that information.
- Organize a study group. Spend time with others in your class, review the information and quiz each other. The benefits of studying with others in your class include helping you stay focused on the material at hand and having others around that can answer any questions you have about that material.
- Take regular breaks. Studying for a long time without taking a break can be counterproductive; instead schedule short breaks throughout your study time. Taking a break will allow your brain to absorb the information and give it a rest.
- Snack on brain food. Eating nutritious snacks while studying will help your brain focus and can help you absorb more information. Healthy snacks while studying have been shown to increase memory.
- Plan your exam day. Make sure you know everything you need for the day of - where are you going, at what time, what should you bring and how are you getting there. Knowing these things before the day of your test will help lessen the pressure and anxiety the day of the test.
- Drink lots of water. Remember drinking water helps your brain function its best!
Good luck with your finals semester!