LeadMN and the LeadMN Scholarship Board congratulate the 24 students who were award a scholarship for the 2023 Spring Semester, totaling $19,000. Congratulations to you all! Are you interested in pursuing a scholarship, or perhaps you are intrigued about what it took to be awarded a scholarship, read about several of the selected recipients below.
McCormick Leadership Scholarship
Nicole Palmer, Metropolitan State University
This was the most sought after scholarship for spring. Nicole is pursuing a Master’s in Nonprofit Leadership and Management. She believes as a leader it is her responsibility to use her experience and education to be an ally and advocate for those on the margins of society. She also received the Mark M. Welter 100% American Scholarship for the 2022 Fall Semester.
LeadMN Leadership Scholarship – Seven awards were given.
- Jarred VanHorn, Dakota County Technical College – Jarred was one of this year’s scholarship recipient keynote speakers at the January 6, 2023 Scholarship Gala. Jarred is majoring in Architectural Technology. He’s building a startup construction material supply company. His goal is to create a nonprofit for children facing poverty, abuse, and the foster care system.
- Kerry Jonsgaard, Minnesota State College Southeast – Winona
- Daniel Georgioff, Normandale Community College
- Christian Meouchy, Riverland Community College – Austin
- Mekedelawet Mersha, Rochester Community and Technical College – Mekedelawet was the second scholarship recipient keynote speaker at the January 6, 2023 Scholarship Gala. She is majoring in Laboratory Science and is committed to complete a bachelor’s degree in Laboratory Science. Mekedelawet’s plan is to be a psychiatrist and influential leader in her school, workplace, and community. Her greatest passion is helping people and making them happy.
- Jenna Vagts, Saint Paul College
- Maria Molitor, Cloud State University
Dr. Steve and Darla Frantz Leadership Endowed Scholarship
David Schottenbauer, Lake Superior College
Linda Olson Memorial Scholarship
Ian Tugume, Inver Hills Community College
Irja Sundgren Pratt Memorial Scholarship
Sam Coleman, Minnesota North College-Vermilion
Morrie Anderson Endowed Scholarship
Ronald Kiberu, Inver Hills Community College
John and Kathryn O'Brien Endowed Scholarship
Sumitra Lamitarey, Saint Paul College – Sumitra is from Bhutan. Her academic goal is excel in nursing, become financially stable, and be an effective leader in a community. Her belief of a college education will her primary source of knowledge for professional development and to help raise better future kids.
John Kenneth Niemi Memorial Tool Fund Scholarship
Dylan Pickett, Pine Technical and Community College
Mark M. Welter 100% American Scholarship – Dr. Mark M. Welters purpose of this scholarship was to improve global perspectives and enhance competent global citizenship. The 100% American Scholarship confirms that all people, “All creeds, all colors, all cultures, and all countries,” have been “depositors and withdrawers at the world bank of knowledge.”
- Mah Zabin Monir, Century College
- Aubrey Kaesmeyer, Minnesota State University, Mankato
- Allison Palmquist, Normandale Community College
- Laura Harmala, North Hennepin Community College
- Stacy Bruch, Pine Technical and Community College
Warren H. Robens and Henry P. Dembiczak Scholarship – This was the fifth year of a 5-year scholarship program that Mr. Henry P. Dembiczak created to support technical education. Mr. Warren H. Robens and Mr. Henry P. Dembiczak shared a strong commitment to higher education and remembered LeadMN in their trust with an endowed scholarship which will support many students in the future.
- Hassan Sheikh-Abukar, Century College – Hassan is a first-generaltion college student, pursuing a Computer Science Associates Degree.
- Eymen Mohammed, Metropolitan State University
- Janay Adams, Minneapolis Community and Technical College
- Janelle Copeland, Minnesota North College-Hibbing
- Sidney Bangert, Riverland Community College – Austin
If you are interested in applying for a LeadMN scholarship for the 2023 Fall Semester, go to www.leadmn.org/scholarships. Information is provided for each of the scholarship that will be available for fall semester. The scholarship website will be open for applications after March 1, 2023.