As a recipient of a technical college education and the training that enabled his career as a millwright and later as a refrigeration mechanic, John Kenneth Niemi understood the value of technical education. Mr. Niemi understood that education was a gift to be valued and would want to ensure other young people had the opportunity he had to gain the education necessary to build a solid career. Because of this belief, Mr. Niemi’s family established a memorial fund within LeadMN. This endowed fund provides funds for tool purchases required for completing an HVAC or a ‘hands-on’ trade course of study for students enrolled in a trade program and attending one of Minnesota State’s colleges.
- Be an Undergraduate or PSEO student enrolled in one of Minnesota State's technical or consolidated colleges.
- Priority will be given to a student enrolled in HVAC, a 'hands-on' trade or construction course of study that requires the purchase of tools to complete the program.
- Have a grade point average (G.P.A.) of 2.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- Complete and submit the online application by April 1 at 11:59 PM for fall semester or by November 1 at 11:59 PM for spring semester. One $500 scholarship will be awarded each semester. (The application will require you to indicate the trade program you are studying).
- Submit a letter of application/personal letter and include the following:
- Academic goals,
- Career goals, and
- Personal goals.
- Submit a separate statement of need (describe why you need this scholarship).
- Submit one letter of recommendation from college staff.
- Submit a copy of your school's unofficial transcript.