As a recipient of a technical college education and the training that enabled his career as a millwright and later as a refrigeration mechanic, John Kenneth Niemi understood the value of technical education. Mr. Niemi understood that education was a gift to be valued and would want to ensure other young people had the opportunity he had to gain the education necessary to build a solid career. Because of this belief, Mr. Niemi’s family established a memorial fund within LeadMN. This endowed fund provides funds for tool purchases required for completing a ‘hands-on’ technical course of study for students enrolled in a technical program and attending one Minnesota State’s colleges or universities.
- Be enrolled in one of Minnesota State Colleges and Universities technical colleges.
- Preference will be given to a student enrolled in HVAC, a 'hands-on' trade or construction course of study that requires the purchase of tools to complete the program.
- Have a grade point average (G.P.A.) of 2.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale.
- Applications are due April 1 at 11:59 PM for fall semester awards and November 1 at 11:59 PM for spring semester awards. One $500 scholarship will be awarded for both the fall and spring semesters.
- Complete and submit online application. (The application will require you to indicate the technical program you are studying).
- Submit letter of application/personal letter and include the following:
- Academic goals,
- Career goals, and
- Personal goals.
- Submit a statement of need (describe why you need this scholarship).
- Submit one letter of recommendation from college staff.
- Submit a copy of your school transcript (does not need to be an official transcript).