John and Kathryn O’Brien believe that America has always relied on and will continue to depend on the talents, hard work, and creativity of immigrants of all kinds. Like America, our Minnesota State colleges thrive when the inspiration for education is accessible to immigrant students with high need and limited access to state and federal financial aid. This scholarship is available to degree-seeking immigrants, children of immigrants, and undocumented students with demonstrated need attending one of Minnesota State’s colleges.
- Be an undergraduate student enrolled in any Minnesota State two-year college;
- Be a full- or part-time student with documented financial need;
- Be an immigrant (born outside the US) or the child of immigrants (both parents born outside US);
- Have a grade point average (GPA) of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 scale;
- Note that
- Undocumented individuals are welcome to apply;
- Preference will be given to applicants who are actively pursuing a degree/certificate;
- PSEO students are not eligible.
- Complete and submit online application by November 1 at 11:59 PM. This $500 scholarship will be awarded for the spring semester.
- Write a response to the following essay question (between 300 and 750 words in length): "Please tell us what a college education means to you and how this scholarship will help you succeed."
- Submit letter of application/personal letter. In this letter, describe your:
- Academic goals
- Career goals, and
- Personal goals.
- Submit a statement of financial need (describe why you need this scholarship).
- Submit one letter of recommendation from college staff.
- Submit a copy of your college transcript (does not need to be an official transcript).