As a recipient of a technical college education and the training that enabled his career as a millwright and later as a refrigeration mechanic, John Kenneth Niemi understood the value of technical education. Mr. Niemi understood that education was a gift to be valued, and would want to ensure other young people had the opportunity he had to gain the education necessary to build a solid career. Because of this belief, Mr. Niemi’s family established a memorial fund within LeadMN. This endowed fund provides funds for tool purchases required for completing a technical course of study for students attending one of the technical colleges or technical programs within the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities.
- Be enrolled in one of Minnesota State Colleges and Universities technical colleges.
- Preference will be given to a student enrolled in the area of Technical/ Management/Trades, especially HVAC and construction.
- Be in good academic standing as determined by the campus where they are enrolled.
- Complete and submit online application.
- Submit letter of application/personal letter and include the following:
- Academic, career and personal goals, describing your academic and career goals and personal goals, and
- Statement of need, describing why you need the scholarship.
- One letter of recommendation from college staff.
- A copy of your school transcript (does not need to be an official transcript).