As valedictorian of Gilbert High School and a graduate of Eveleth Community College (now Mesabi Range Community and Technical College), Irja Sundgren Pratt had a sincere commitment to higher education. Irja understood that education was a gift to be valued, and wanted to ensure other young people from the Iron Range had the opportunity to pursue post-secondary education. Because of this belief, she established a fund through her estate to provide scholarships for students at one of the five two-year institutions on the Iron Range. This endowed fund will provide scholarship opportunities for students who are attending one of the five two-year institutions that comprise the Northeast Higher Education District (NHED) on the Iron Range. NHED consists of Hibbing Community College, Itasca Community College, Mesabi Range Community and Technical College, Rainy River Community College and Vermilion Community College.
- This scholarship will be awarded annually to a student who is enrolled at any institution within the Northeast Higher Education District. (Possible recipients will be suggested by each campus.)
- Be in good academic standing as determined by the campus where they are enrolled.
- Will have completed at least one semester of course-work at the college before being eligible for the award.
- May be renewed provided the recipients meet the minimum academic standards as determined by the college president or provost.
- Complete and submit online application by November 1. This scholarship will be awarded for the spring semester only.
- Submit letter of application/personal letter and include the following:
- Academic, career and personal goals, describing your academic and career goals and personal goals, and
- Statement of need, describing why you need the scholarship.
- One letter of recommendation from college staff.
- A copy of your school transcript (does not need to be an official transcript).