Who we are:
LeadMN represents 180,000 two-year college students that come to Minnesota from every corner of the world to transform their lives and their communities. The American Dream has long been a symbol of achieving success. For far too many Minnesotans, the path to this dream is impeded due to systematic barriers. At LeadMN we break down those barriers by empowering two-year college students to become strong leaders, engaged community members, and successful professionals. A key step to rebuilding the American Dream for two-year college students is giving them the skills to vote and be engaged citizens so they can advocate for the future that they want to see.
The Volunteer Coordinator will develop and coordinate our volunteer program. We are looking for an ambitious person to help us drive our civic engagement and advocacy work and develop students to become the next generation of great leaders. This is a new role for the organization which allows for great new ideas and the opportunity to develop something new.
With the supervision of the Outreach Director, the Volunteer Coordinator will work with the Outreach Team and GOTV Interns to build deeper working relationships with students at our 48 campuses. This will require actively working to engage the general student bodies and other community partners. A great candidate will love problem solving, working with students and thrive in a mentorship role.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Develop Volunteer Program
- Recruit, manage, and provide training for new student volunteers and community partners
- Develop student leaders from historically underrepresented communities including but not limited to students of color
- Help hire and supervise 10 interns
- Provide training resources and information to all volunteers
- Manage the organization’s volunteer recognition program, and Program Coordination and Outreach efforts
- Develop a recruitment strategy for the students on 48 campuses
- Develop new community partnerships
- Represent the program in meetings and at public events to maintain and develop new relationships with partners
- Create content to engage the public through social media posts and events
- Develop volunteer recognition events
- Work in collaboration with the Outreach Team to implement grassroots advocacy strategies to support the work of LeadMN.
- Attend conferences and trainings. We host 6 leadership conferences a year that are held on weekends
- Maintain a level of flexibility with all staff
- Represent LeadMN, its mission, vision, and goals in the broader community and with all two-year college students
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The candidate will possess the following characteristics:
- Self-motivated, team player with the ability to meet deadlines, remain flexible, and adjust to changing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong organizational skills, with keen attention to details, as well as excellent problem-solving abilities.
- Demonstrated commitment and history of working with diverse student and community populations.
- Experience training individuals with grassroots organizing skills
- Experience using EveryAction
- Good written and oral communications skills
- Have 1- 2 years of volunteer recruitment and management experience
- Have a bachelor or associate degree
- Interest in Voter Registration and overall student engagement
- Have experience using EveryAction or VAN to manage volunteers
- Clear understanding and commitment to equity and inclusion
- Must be able to work some weekends
- Ability to travel as needed
An average work week will consist of 40 hours, Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Occasional weekend and evening work will be required, including offsite meetings outside of the metro area for campus visits. With Covid-19, we will be temporarily working remotely.
Compensation: Salary offered: Annual starting salary is $40,000 - $45,000
Benefits offered: Medical, HSA plan, dental, life insurance, long term disability, paid holidays, personal leave, paid time off, compensatory time and retirement plan with employer match.
Reports to: Director of Outreach
To apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to the Director of Outreach, Fatu Magassouba at FMagassouba@leadmn.org.