The LeadMN Civic Engagement Fellow will work with the Outreach Director to develop a statewide Black Student Unions Network (BSUN) with two year and four college students. The ideal candidate will be a two-year college student or graduate transitioning into a career or with an interest in Organizing, Political Science and Community Development or a graduate student in one of the areas of study listed.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Use organizing best practices and skills to work with student leaders
- Capable of providing confidential support to students
- Work with the Outreach Director to create events for BSUN participants
- Implement an external partnership engagement plan
- Work with the Outreach team to develop opportunities to engage with students
- Attend conferences and trainings. We host 6 leadership conferences a year
- Maintain a level of flexibility with all staff, helping others as appropriate
- Represent LeadMN, its mission, vision, and goals in the broader community and with all two-year college student
- Clear understanding and commitment to equity and inclusion
- Interest in building collective power within the Black Student Body
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The Fellow will possess the following characteristics:
- Self-motivated, team player with the ability to meet deadlines, remain flexible, and adjust to changing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Strong organizational skills, curiosity to learn new things, as well as excellent problem-solving abilities
- Demonstrated commitment and history of working with diverse student and community populations
The fellow’s average work week will consist of 20 hours with a possibility of an increase. Office is open from Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (currently working virtually because of COVID-19). Occasional weekend and evening work will be required, including offsite meetings outside of the metro area.
Must be a student in a two-year college or graduate transitioning into a career or with an interest in Organizing, Political Science, and, Community Development or a graduate student at any four year institution.
Six months stipend is $14,000 with the possibility of another six months extension. Reports to: Director of Outreach To apply: Please send a cover letter and resume to the Fatu Magassouba at FMagassouba@leadmn.org.