Known as Emancipation or “Freedom” day, June 19th 1865 commemorates the day enslaved African Americans in the state of Texas were told that the institution of slavery had been abolished. This was two years after the Emancipation Proclamation (HR40) or the 13th Amendment.
Juneteenth is not only a significant holiday for Americans, but a way to discuss the history of slavery and reparations for African Americans and to grapple with the institution as the original sin of the United States.
In celebration of Juneteenth this year, here are some links to events and activities in the Twin Cities:
- Juneteenth Jubilee: A MN Black Box Bazaar - Sat. June 19, 2021 10 am - 4 pm https://www.eventbrite.com/e/juneteenth-jubilee-a-mn-black-box-bazaar-tickets-150675874597
- Celebrate Juneteenth with CHOOSE LOVE MINNESOTA and LIFETIME - Sat. June 19, 2021 1 pm - 3 pm https://www.eventbrite.com/e/celebrate-juneteenth-with-choose-love-minnesota-and-lifetime-tickets-153694314833
- Juneteenth Celebrations: Mankato - Sat. June 19, 2021 12 pm - 4 pm
- JUNETEENTH: Hennepin County Library - All week starting June 13th 2021
- 1st Annual Juneteenth Sweet Potato Comfort Pie Jubilee - Fri. June 18, 2021 11 am - 6 pm https://www.mnhs.org/event/8687
- JUNETEENTH: Celebrating Black Joy - Sat. June 19, 2021 11 am - 3 pm https://www.facebook.com/events/597825297831041/
- A Community Celebration of Juneteenth - Sat. June 19th 2021 11 am - 2 pm https://www.facebook.com/100002794299457/posts/3435017339934709/