Equity and Inclusion Campaign Intern
Who you are
You are a passionate individual who cares about equity, diversity, and inclusion, in higher education. You understand the need for proper representation and are driven to ensure that campuses, policies, and systems, reflect the needs of today’s students. You understand how the lived experiences, narratives, and identities of all of us influence our work and educational experiences and as such you are open to supporting students from diverse backgrounds. Most of all you are a leader dedicated to driving change in higher education and you won’t stop at anything to achieve your goals.
The Equity and Inclusion Campaign Intern supports LeadMN efforts to improve the educational quality and experiences for students from underrepresented and marginalized backgrounds within the Minnesota State Colleges and University System. This includes but is not limited to working to address the opportunity gap, outreach and education on equity issues affecting students, working to end food insecurity, and ensuring that LeadMN and our campuses are inclusive to all students regardless of race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, level of ability, gender, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic status, and other aspects of identity.
As part of our commitment to ending racial inequities in education, LeadMN will develop an equity report measuring the equity gaps between students of color in developmental education courses within four Minnesota State two-year public institutions. The Equity and Inclusion intern will lead efforts to engage the campus community in this process and track the progress of campuses in implementing action steps to close equity gaps.
This internship is designed for individuals interested in learning more about the field of higher education public policy, with a concentration on mass communication and grassroots outreach. The position provides opportunities for a great deal of practical experience and will galvanize the intern’s understanding of the higher education and policy work in Minnesota.
Position Duties & Responsibilities
- Assist in developing and executing education and advocacy efforts of the Equity and Inclusion campaign. Previous campaigns have focused on campus diversity plans, DACA, and campus climate.
- Recruitment and organizing to engage students in LeadMN’s equity work.
- Collect data as needed in relation to campus diversity and inclusion. This includes but is not limited to: researching student of color populations at Minnesota’s two-year public colleges, building relationships and meeting with campus administrators.
- Serve as liaison for campus diversity plan implementation at assigned campus (school where intern is currently enrolled).
- Represent community and technical college students in Minnesota State Colleges and Universities’ equity and policy committees.
- Participate in weekly Equity Team meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
The Equity and Inclusion Intern will possess the following characteristics:
- Demonstrated commitment to equity, inclusion, diversity, and to promoting educational quality for all students.
- Self-motivated, team player with the ability to meet deadlines, remain flexible, and adjust to changing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong organizational skills, with keen attention to details, as well as excellent problem solving abilities.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Have self-discipline and time management skills necessary to work independently.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, specifically Word and Excel.
- Have regular and consistent computer and internet access, including the ability to work online.
- Ability to travel as needed to perform internship duties.
- Be a registered student in good academic standing at a Minnesota State Colleges and Universities institution. Preference will be given to students enrolled at the following colleges: Century College, St. Paul College, Dakota County Technical College, and Inver Hills Community College.
Work Schedule/Time Commitment
Average weekly hours will vary from 5 - 15 hours. Monday - Friday, 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM.
$11.00 per hour
Manager of Equity and Inclusion
Please send a cover letter and resume to Manager of Equity and Inclusion May Yang at firstname.lastname@example.org.